July 19th. 3 PM. I am standing with Will Thompson, Hunter Thompson's grandson. Kind eyes. A beautiful smile.
PHOEBE LEGERE:
"I was at Howl Happening for #gonzofest- on a panel called Friends of Hunter S. Thompson. I tried to describe the paradox of Hunter - a devastatingly funny, terrifyingly serious man.
"I tried to describe the paradox of a man who pursued absolute freedom with the ferocity of a revolutionary and the tenderness of a poet.
"I tried to describe the paradox of a man who could make you laugh until dawn and break your heart before breakfast.
"I tried to describe the paradox of a writer whose laughter was inseparable from his fury, ...whose comedy cut through the Great American Spectacle to expose the machinery of power....whose satire stripped the paint from America's democratic illusions.
"Not the myth. Not the outlaw. Not the Gonzo icon.
The man who once treated me as an equal. Who showed me what fearless friendship and love feel like.
I also exhibited paintings I made while I was living at Owl Farm.
"Time is a strange thing. It takes what we love. Then, like a dark obsidian mirror - like the obsidian knives once used by Aztec priests to cut out the hearts of victims - the past walks back into the room."
Photo by @disiterate Ethan Shoshan @ulersththe_nupin38 @howlarts #lowereastside #phoebelegere #huntersthompson #gonzofest @gonzofestofficial