ARTIST LEGERE

"Phoebe Legere is a transdisciplinary artist. Her multi-format artworks issue from a powerful and intimate internal voice."
~The Brooklyn Rail

Saturday, August 29, 2026

DRINK IN PEACE: SONG FOR MY SISTER, VALENTINE, BY PHOEBE LEGERE

Social Media post by Phoebe Legere:


Thank you to everyone who came to my show last Saturday at the Phoenicia Playhouse My sister Valentine Legere was my hero. She passed away recently. This song is for her.https://phoebelegere.bandcamp.com/.../drink-in-peace-song... photo: Tania Barricklo

Drink in Peace (Song for My Sister)
© Phoebe Legere

Val, Today we said goodbye to you
Bro, I can't believe it's true.
That's the final curtain, Lay down your hurt
Coz your flyin to a place where nobody has to work.

I remember the old days, the American legion.
We'd raise a glass to the ones that had fallen.
You knew the stories, where the bodies were buried.
Now you're a story and we don't know where your goin.

I hope the Heaven looks like Hometown USA.
I hope that Heaven looks like Medfield 1968.
I hope that Heaven's got weed, and crystal streams
I hope that Heaven is a place where we can...
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace;
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace;

There's something sacred 'bout a drinkin buddy,
Down by the Creek, Time gets kinda muddy,
Takin Chances, Insane Episodes:
Ooo Wee.....That was close!

So let's raise a glass to Val and Fun,
To the Gods of Medfield, who never grow up,
The ghost of Val says let's get the party started
Time is a Slut,
Heaven's where the heart is

I hope the Heaven looks like Hometown USA.
I hope that Heaven looks like Medfield 1968.
I hope that Heaven's got weed, and crystal streams
I hope that Heaven is a place where we can...
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace;
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace;

SOLO

I hope that Heaven's got weed, and crystal streams
I hope that Heaven is a place where we can...
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace;
Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace; Drink in Peace, Drink in Peace....(repeat)