ARTIST LEGERE

"Phoebe Legere is a transdisciplinary artist. Her multi-format artworks issue from a powerful and intimate internal voice."
~The Brooklyn Rail

Friday, October 29, 2021

Artistic Trailblazer, Pioneer Phoebe Legere Victim of Gender Bias as Noted By Linda Nocklin

Phoebe Legere's recent social media post has received the support of thousands. We just had to copy and paste it here. Artist and musician Phoebe Legere is a legendary trailblazer and pioneer who puts Art into Everything She Does: 

"My brilliantly gifted parents trained me to be an artist from childhood. Everyone expected me to be an artist. I started playing music professionally because I could play music at night and paint with the sun during the daytime.  By chance, Michael Jackson’s people heard me sing in a little club. I was signed to Epic/Sony. 


"During the day I used to take my paintings around to Boone and the other blue chip galleries. The gallerists would just laugh at me. Females were treated like dirt in those days. There was no chance for an emerging female artist. Everyone knew: female artists didn’t sell. 

"My advisor at Vassar College was the legendary feminist Linda Nochlin. She wrote: 'Why have there been no great female artists?'

"That gender bias hurt like hell. I knew I had what it took to be an important American painter. I was friends with major male painters. They did nothing to hook me up. Young people need help. Not only did male artists not help me, I was bullied for my creativity and originality.

"I look at the work women are doing now. Wow! Women are so strong. All we needed was a little encouragement. 

"You can’t get caught up in bad memories or you won’t be able to paint with joy. It is not good to come from a place of rage all the time. Ya gotta forgive. Gotta load up that brush and dance girlfriend!"
            
                              ~~Phoebe Legere

New Paintings From Phoebe Legere: